FREE Workshops for Parents & Professionals From The CARE Project + SC First Sound
First Sound, South Carolina's early hearing detection and intervention program, announced that The CARE Project is coming to South Carolina. The CARE Project is a nonprofit organization that hosts training sessions for parents of deaf & hard of hearing children and the professionals that work with them. First Sound is hosting a series of virtual sessions starting in January 2022. There is no charge for these events.
Pre-registration is required. If you need accommodations such as an ASL interpreter, each workshop has an accommodations request deadline prior to the event. Click each link below for more details and to register. Please share these workshops with other parents and colleagues!
Workshops For Parents:
- Jan. 22 | 10 am - 4 pm | Virtual Family Retreat: "The CARE Project is a unique and honest forum for parents to share their stories and for new parents to instantly see they are not alone and their feelings are completely understood!" -Reflections of a Mother after attending TCP Family Retreat. REGISTER
- Feb. 12 | 10 am - 4 pm | Virtual Parent Learning Experience: The parent learning experience explores on a deeper level the emotional journey of families includes empathy training which includes topics such as compassion, loyalty, cultural humility and unconscious bias. REGISTER
Workshops for Professionals
- Jan. 14 | 10 am - 4 pm | Virtual Professional Learning Experience: Unique topics include the exploration of empathy, the emotional journey of professionals who work with children who are deaf & hard of hearing and relationship building. REGISTER
- March 25 | 10 am - 4 pm | Virtual Professional Reflections: You've completed the previous experiences with The CARE Project! Join other professionals to debrief on what was learned and how to apply new strategies in working with families. The topic of “urgency” will be explored with the audience to help them gain a greater understanding of the importance of moving quickly to provide necessary services for families. REGISTER
Joint Workshop for Parents & Professionals:
- Feb. 4 | 10 am - 4 pm | Virtual Parent/Professional Collaborative: This collaborative will bring together parents with children who are deaf and hard of hearing and professionals who provide services for these families to bring about a deeper understanding of the emotional journey of these families after receiving an unexpected diagnosis. Parents will gain resources to help better navigate the journey and the systems of services available to families. Professionals will gain a deeper sensitivity of the emotional journey and how to change their own culture of communication from a medical/clinical/educational perspective to a more sensitive perspective reflecting the family emotional journey. REGISTER